Friday, October 21, 2011

Verse of the Day 10/21

 
1 Timothy 1:2 Amplified Bible (AMP) 2To Timothy, my true son in the faith: Grace (spiritual blessing and favor), mercy, and [heart] peace [be yours] from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
 
I had another verse planned for this morning but when I read this charge to Timothy in the read through the Bible passage for today I changed course.
 
Paul often began his epistles with an opening greeting and a call or prayer for the grace and peace of God to be upon the hearers of the letter.  In this letter to Timothy, a young pastor, he adds to this call mercy.  Verses 13 and 16 of this chapter shed some light on this addition.
 
In verse 13 Paul says that he received and recognized Christ's mercy when he acted in ignorance and persecuted the early church, the earlier followers of Christ in the way.  He considered his actions to make him the worst of sinners but realized that mercy had been extended to him, set him free from the chains of guilt that could have held him back.
 
You might say that the hound of heaven caught him along that road and offered him mercy.  Paul received it, followed Christ, was forever changed and has been involved in changing others since that day in his encouraging, challenging words.  As He has done with each of us, Jesus met Paul at the point of his need.  I was reminded of the Philipps, Craig, and Dean song "Mercy Came Running", I'll share the chorus.
 
Mercy came running
Like a prisoner set free
Past all my failures to the point of my need
When the sin that I carried was all I could see
And when I could not reach mercy
Mercy came running to me.
 
Have you experienced this in your life? If so, may you rejoice and may the grace, mercy and peace that come from the Father and Jesus Christ be yours today.  May you spread it to others along the way.  May it bring you hope.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

1 Timothy 1

New Living Translation (NLT)  Greetings from Paul

 1 This letter is from Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus, appointed by the command of God our Savior and Christ Jesus, who gives us hope.

 2 I am writing to Timothy, my true son in the faith.

   May God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord give you grace, mercy, and peace.

13 even though I used to blaspheme the name of Christ. In my insolence, I persecuted his people. But God had mercy on me because I did it in ignorance and unbelief. 14 Oh, how generous and gracious our Lord was! He filled me with the faith and love that come from Christ Jesus.

 15 This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it: "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners"—and I am the worst of them all. 16 But God had mercy on me so that Christ Jesus could use me as a prime example of his great patience with even the worst sinners. Then others will realize that they, too, can believe in him and receive eternal life.

No comments: