Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Verse of the Day 10/25

 1 Timothy 6:6-7  English Standard Version (ESV)  6Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, 7for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. 

 

I'd like to see these verses posted across the TV screen as you see the daily news of protests, ponzy schemes, and greed.  Many of the rich desperately trying to hold on to what they have, making risky investments to stay ahead of inflation to their ruin.  Others from the other end of the spectrum desiring more by having it taken from others.  None of them being content.

 

In my devotional reading this morning I came to Psalm 23 about the Good Shepherd.  Shepherds weren't wealthy, they lived a simple life but this psalm speaks of a shepherd who has realized contentment, he has it because his heart is in the right place and his mind is not set on things beyond his reach.  But God sets the table for him.

 

Psalm 23:5-6 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
    You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows. 

  6 Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
    all the days of my life,
    and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
    as long as I live.

 

My cup overflows, that sums it up.

 

Our son Jeff is 29 years old today.  I can't think of anyone his age that reflects these qualities more than him.  Most of you know that he suffered a TBI at the age of 16 in a car accident which left him permanently (in this life) disabled.  But he has found joy, peace, love, hope and yes contentment by trusting in Christ, the Good Shepherd.  He often thanks us for his wonderful life and we thank God for his.

 

Happy birthday Jeff.  You inspire me.

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Through the Bible - 2 Samuel 1-2, I Timothy 5
 
1 Timothy 6:6-10  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

6 But godliness with contentment is a great gain.

    7 For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out.

    8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with these.

    9 But those who want to be rich fall into temptation, a trap, and many foolish and harmful desires, which plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, and by craving it, some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pains.

No comments: