Sunday, October 9, 2011

Verse of the Day - weekend 10/9

Psalm 42:8 English Standard Version (ESV) 8By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
   and at night his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
 
The other day we considered how God's Word comes to us in our trials, in our dark valleys.  It comes to us if it is hidden in our hearts or is revealed to us by someone else.  His word can comfort, strengthen and encourage us.
 
Another thing that happened to both Jean and I was a song coming to us.  At different times, we both were ministered to by the same song.  "It is Well With My Soul". 
 
In his book, " A Bend in the Road", David Jeremiah shares his experience with this. "You'll be faced with a trial and God will give you two gifts: a scripture for your mind and a song for your heart. And the song He gives you will burst forth in lovely melody in the midst of the darkest night."
 
For me, "It is Well", came to me the middle of the night in the early days of our trial.  It came with the emphasis on the bass part that I used to sing echoing that chorus. It was as if my heart were asking a question "is it well?", followed by the Holy Spirit answering me in with my heart yes, it is well.   It is another great hymn that has recently been "modernized'. I've posted the two of the original stanza's followed by the new refrain. 
 

It Is Well    -   Horatio G. Spafford | Philip Paul Bliss | Todd Fields

  1. When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
    When sorrows like sea billows roll;
    Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
    It is well, it is well, with my soul.
    • Refrain:
      It is well, with my soul,
      It is well, it is well, with my soul.
  2. Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
    Let this blest assurance control,
    That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
    And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

It is well, It is well
Through the storm I am held
It is well, It is well
With my soul
It is well, It is well
God has won, Christ prevailed
It is well , It is well
With my soul

 
Looking back, we can see that we were held, God has won, and Christ prevails.  It is well with our souls.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 42:7-11

English Standard Version (ESV)

7Deep calls to deep
   at the roar of your waterfalls;
all your breakers and your waves
   have gone over me.
8By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
   and at night his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
9I say to God, my rock:
   "Why have you forgotten me?
Why do I go mourning
   because of the oppression of the enemy?"
10As with a deadly wound in my bones,
   my adversaries taunt me,
while they say to me all the day long,
   "Where is your God?"

 11 Why are you cast down, O my soul,
   and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
   my salvation and my God.

No comments: