Thursday, August 16, 2012

Verse of the Day 8/16

1 Corinthians 15:3-4  For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,     English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Over the past few days, as I'd considered the verses that we've been looking at, a song, actually the chorus to a song kept going through my mind, it was from the old hymn "One Day".
 
Living, He loved me; dying, He saved me;
  Buried, He carried my sins far away;
Rising, He justified freely forever:
    One day He's coming—O glorious day!
 
Yesterday I read the following quote from John Piper in "Joy and the Supremacy of Christ" - "The Son of God, Jesus Christ, came into the world, lived a perfect life, died to bear the penalty for our sins, absorbed the wrath of God that hung over us, and rose from the dead triumphant over death and Satan and all evil, so that all who receive Jesus as Savior, Lord, and Treasure of their lives would be forgiven for Christ's sake, counted righteous in Christ, and fitted to know and enjoy God forever."
 
If we've come to the point where we can acknowledge that statement and today's verse, how then should we live.  Do you desire to be fitted to know and enjoy God forever?   We are told elsewhere in scripture that we are to "put on Christ", be fitted with Him and we will desire to live for Him as we look forward to the day that He will come again to bring us to Him.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
1 Corinthians 15:3-10 New Living Translation (NLT)
3 I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me. Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. 4 He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said. 5 He was seen by Peter and then by the Twelve. 6 After that, he was seen by more than 500 of his followers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died. 7 Then he was seen by James and later by all the apostles. 8 Last of all, as though I had been born at the wrong time, I also saw him. 9 For I am the least of all the apostles. In fact, I'm not even worthy to be called an apostle after the way I persecuted God's church.
 
10 But whatever I am now, it is all because God poured out his special favor on me—and not without results. For I have worked harder than any of the other apostles; yet it was not I but God who was working through me by his grace.

No comments: