Thursday, August 2, 2012

Verse of the Day 8/2

Verse of the Day 8/2

Psalm 57:1(AMP) Be merciful and gracious to me, O God, be merciful and gracious to me, for my soul takes refuge and finds shelter and confidence in You; yes, in the shadow of Your wings will I take refuge and be confident until calamities and destructive storms are passed.

When I read this verse this morning I thought of Matt 11:28-30 which we considered the other day where Jesus called out "come to me".  Today's verse shows the condition of the heart that is willing to go to Him.  There is a little three letter word that is key to this verse - "for".
 
We come to Him not on the basis of our accomplishments, our rights, or good works.  It is because of who He is and our recognition of the fact that only He can provide what we truly need.
 
John Piper refers to Ruth as an example of this in "A Sweet and Bitter Providence" - "she has set her heart on God for hope and joy.  And when a person does that, God's honor -  not the value of our work- is at stake, and He will be merciful.  If you plead God's value as the source of your hope instead of pleading your value as a reason for God's blessing, then His unwavering commitment to His own glory engages all His heart for your protection and  joy."
 
Are you seeking shelter today?  Set God as your treasure and seek Him, plead to Him as your hope and joy and He will show you mercy.
 
Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He, whose heart is kind beyond all measure,
Gives unto each day what He deems best,
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Source: http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php/h/713#ixzz22Ny9uK9Z
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 57:1-2 (ESV)Let Your Glory Be over All the Earth

57  Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
    for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,
     till the storms of destruction pass by.
I cry out to God Most High,
    to God who fulfills his purpose for me.

No comments: