Thursday, August 9, 2012

Verse of the Day 8/9

 Isaiah 41:13   For I, the Lord your God,
    hold your right hand;
it is I who say to you, "Fear not,
    I am the one who helps you."  (ESV)

 I've spent some time this past week in Isaiah 40 and 41.  I was struck by the references to being "gathered and carried in His arms" (40:11), being strengthened and upheld (41:10), and how He holds our right hand and helps us in today's verse.
 
We can remember walking hand in hand with our parents or grandparents growing up and doing the same with our children and grandchildren.  It is something that is generally outgrown.  Sometimes people feel that they have outgrown the need to walk with God.  But this is something that we can never outgrow.  Walking with Him involves prayer, time in His word and walking in accord with His will.
 
Stephen Kendall in a recent "These Days" devotional writes, "we are not always the ones being carried.  There are times when our role is to carry others.  At those times we are holding up the weak, the anxious, and the grieving, we become the arms of God."
 
This brought tears to my eyes when I first read it and now as I'm typing this.  I relate to my son Jeff who cannot stand on his own.  Even though I'm not home now, I can feel how he uses his right arm to cling to and hold on to me as I help him stand or take a few steps.  He feels that I am strengthening him while the sense of his hug strengthens and encourages me.
 
Thank you Lord for carrying, holding, and strengthening, and helping me.  May we never want to let go of your hand.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com
 

Isaiah 41:10-13 Amplified Bible (AMP)

10 Fear not [there is nothing to fear], for I am with you; do not look around you in terror and be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties, yes, I will help you; yes, I will hold you up and retain you with My [victorious] right hand of rightness and justice.

11 Behold, all they who are enraged and inflamed against you shall be put to shame and confounded; they who strive against you shall be as nothing and shall perish.

12 You shall seek those who contend with you but shall not find them; they who war against you shall be as nothing, as nothing at all.

13 For I the Lord your God hold your right hand; I am the Lord, Who says to you, Fear not; I will help you!

No comments: