Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Verse of the Day 10/16

 Psalm 46:1  God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present help in trouble.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Yesterday I quoted the old hymn "O God Our Help in Ages Past".  After I posted it today's verse immediately came to mind.  It goes beyond saying  that God is our help, He is a "very present help".  Sometimes we feel His presence and are thankful for it, other times we may not feel it, but by His promises and by our past experience we can know that He is there, and He is for us.
 
Those thoughts somehow led me to the old Beatles song "Help".  They sing of a time when younger, that they "never needed anybodies help in any way".  Many of us may have felt lake that at some point in our lives, especially when we were young (and foolish).  At some point we will cry "help, I need somebody, not just anybody, help you know I need someone".  The song continues "now I find  I've changed my mind and opened up the doors".  At some point in our lives that will happen to everybody.  If you are in need of help today, open up the doors to Him.
 
As Christians, we know who that "One" that the Beatles sang about is.  We have the God in Three Persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit with us as our help.  Perhaps you can pull up the old Beatles song on youtube or just sing it or think about it in terms of our Lord and Saviour.  Another hymn that you may think about would be "A Mighty Fortress" written by Martin Luther in relation to this Psalm.
 
I'll end today's devotional with another verse from Psalm 19 which read in the course of my Bible reading this morning and also came through as the Bible Gateway verse of the day.  When things like that happen I feel that I need to share it.
 
Psalm 19:14  May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.  New International Version (NIV)
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

Psalm 46

English Standard Version (ESV)

God Is Our Fortress

46 God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
    though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,
    though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
    God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
    he utters his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah
Come, behold the works of the Lord,
    how he has brought desolations on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
    he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the chariots with fire.
10 "Be still, and know that I am God.
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth!"
11 The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah

No comments: