Thursday, October 24, 2013

Verse of the Day 10/24

     
Psalm 26:2   Prove me, O Lord, and try me;
    test my heart and my mind.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
We'll continue on in looking at some of the psalms of David which reveal his heart and his relentless trust.  He had his share of ups and downs in his life and in his walk with God.  But an underlying factor in all of it was a deep trust in His God and in his own faith.  This prayer, this call to God is a bold one born out of what had happened in the past, the joys and the pain and the cost and rewards of faith.
 
John MacArthur writes that these three words "prove", "try" and "test" are invitations to divine scrutiny" which are synonymous ways of testing, refining and purifying.
 
In my work I am sometimes involved in R & D of our own products as well as how other products work with ours.  Tensile,tear, and bond strengths are tested.  Test samples are subjected to heat, UV rays, and abrasion all to determine if the product will make the grade and be approved for use and to bear the name.
 
David was confident that he would make the grade.  It wasn't in who he was or in his own strength.  But it was, once again, his relentless trust, his faith in God that gave him confidence that he could make such a request, such a prayer to God.
 
Would we, would I be able to make that prayer today - prove me, try me, and test my heart today?  May God give us the relentless trust to be able to do so.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

Psalm 26

English Standard Version (ESV)

I Will Bless the Lord

Of David.

26 Vindicate me, O Lord,
    for I have walked in my integrity,
    and I have trusted in the Lord without wavering.
Prove me, O Lord, and try me;
    test my heart and my mind
For your steadfast love is before my eyes,
    and I walk in your faithfulness.
I do not sit with men of falsehood,
    nor do I consort with hypocrites.
I hate the assembly of evildoers,
    and I will not sit with the wicked.
I wash my hands in innocence
    and go around your altar, O Lord,
proclaiming thanksgiving aloud,
    and telling all your wondrous deeds.
O Lord,I love the habitation of your house
    and the place where your glory dwells.

No comments: