Sunday, October 20, 2013

Verse of the Day 10/20

 
Psalm 23:1-2  The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack.
He lets me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
Along with the song "Jesus Loves Me", one of the first songs that I remember learning as a child was "The Lord is My Shepherd".  The other night I woke up in the middle of the night with that song in my mind.  It was a restless night for reasons that I am not even aware of.  It may have been that I knew that this psalm was coming up in my devotions, but whatever the case; the words of the song comforted me and made me think of the Psalm where it came from as David reflected on the Lord being his shepherd and what it meant to him.  He provides, he restores, he leads and He is pursuing us with His love,  it is out of realization of this that we follow Him.
 
 
Alexander Smellie in "The Hour of Silence" (1899) acknowledges that this is not of ourselves, out of our own discipline or our own sufficiency when he wrote:
 
"The Lord will provide HELP when I am helpless. Is it the discipline of my own inner life? Is it to escape this enticing world? I am sufficient for none of these things.
Sometimes my road is rough,
sometimes it is steep,
sometimes it is dark,
sometimes it is slippery.
My heart whispers discouragement, and says, "This is too hard for me!" But, when I come to the place, I find that God Himself has solved my difficulties, and puts to flight my fears!"
If you are restless over some situation, may we realize that we are not sufficient in ourselves, but we need to trust in the Lord, your Shepherd, may he put "flight to your fears", believing that He has solved our difficulties.  May this old simple song help you to do so and commit to live for Him always.
 
The Lord is my Shepherd, I'll live for Him always;
He leads me by still waters, I'll live for Him always,
Always, always, I'll live for Him always,
Always, always I'll live for Him always.
 
I'm so thankful for God's Word and how it reminds me of such songs and how such songs remind me of His Word.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 23

Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack.

He lets me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.

He renews my life;
He leads me along the right paths

for His name's sake.

Even when I go through the darkest valley,

I fear no danger,
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff—they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
as long as I live.

No comments: