Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Verse of the Day 10/8

 
 Psalm 63:8  My soul clings to you;
    your right hand upholds me.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
As part of our youth group's service on Sunday night we were all asked to read Psalm 63 three times and to look for a word or few words that caught our attention, that spoke to our hearts, or that moved or inspired us.  Its a good practice to get into as we read the Bible, not just to read through it just for the sake of reading it as if to check it off on a to do list, but to stay there, to think about it and let it speak to you.
 
As I read it those three times, the words that spoke to me were "your right hand upholds me".  I was reminded of walking along with a child or grandchild with them holding onto your finger when walking along.  Their grip would be tight but even if they were holding with all of their might, their strength is relatively weak and it could fail them, they could fall.  But their father or parent's hand is much stronger, it can take hold of them and keep them safe or bring them to safety should they stumble.
 
So it is with us.  We may think we are strong enough to hold on in our own strength, but our strength, our faith may fail or falter at times.   Thankfully, God's right hand is much stronger, He will hold onto us, set us back on our feet and set us back on the right path should we stumble or fall.
 
In those times when our faith is struggling, have confidence in the strength of His right hand to see you through.  Read through the passage below, perhaps three times.  See what word or words jump out and grab your attention.
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

Psalm 63:1-8

English Standard Version (ESV)

My Soul Thirsts for You

A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah.

63 O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
    my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
    as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
    beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
    my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
    in your name I will lift up my hands.
My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food,
    and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips,
when I remember you upon my bed,
    and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
for you have been my help,
    and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.
My soul clings to you;
    your right hand upholds me.

No comments: