Monday, December 23, 2013

Verse of the Day 12/23

 
Ruth 1:16-17  But Ruth said, "Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the Lord do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you."   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Today's verse from the book of Ruth may not often be thought of in the context of Christmas.  But the attitude of Ruth's heart was similar to that of Mary when she had said "let it be done unto me" regarding God's plans for her.  It is worth remembering the attitude of Ruth's heart in the context of Christmas because it was through her  devotion to Naomi that led to her marriage to Boaz, and their lineage,  that David and ultimately Jesus was born.
 
Ruth 4:21-22  Salmon fathered Boaz, Boaz fathered Obed, 22 Obed fathered Jesse, and Jesse fathered David.   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
As we head towards Christmas and beyond the New Year ahead, may we truly "prepare Him room" which involves submission and surrender to Him.  May we be willing to follow through on His promptings in our hearts.  Who knows what we will be able to share with future generations of our family as we and as they gather together to share how they arrived at "this place" through what Jesus has done for them in their lives.
 
Ruth's attitude was "not even death itself is going to come between us!" (v. 17 The Message).  May that be the attitude of our hearts in regards to our love of Christ which will also carry over to our loved ones who have Jesus Christ, our Savior,  living in them.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Ruth 1:15-17

The Message (MSG)

15 Naomi said, "Look, your sister-in-law is going back home to live with her own people and gods; go with her."

16-17 But Ruth said, "Don't force me to leave you; don't make me go home. Where you go, I go; and where you live, I'll live. Your people are my people, your God is my god; where you die, I'll die, and that's where I'll be buried, so help me God—not even death itself is going to come between us!"

No comments: