Monday, July 14, 2014

Verse of the Day 7/14

 John 10:27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. English Standard Version

In John chapter 10, Jesus refers to Himself as the "Good Shepherd" and speaks of the relationship of the Shepherd and His sheep.  In my study Bible there were no additional notes for today's verse.  Perhaps it is because it is so clear that it needs no further explanation, it is a given - His sheep will follow Him.  The Message says that His sheep "recognize" his voice and follow Him.

While it needs no further commentary to be understood it leaves us with the question "am I following"?  Our path, our course, our purpose in life should be defined by how we are following.  That is the purpose for which we were created, to follow Him and to know Him.

I read the following quote in a devotional yesterday and it stayed with me.  "We will never understand what it is to be human and will never be fully human until we take seriously our purpose in being created for Christ".   - Kirsten Birkett.  Are we, am I "taking seriously", our purpose in being created and in following Christ as our Shepherd? 

May we recognize His voice and follow today.

Blessings,

Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/

 

John 10:25-30The Message (MSG)

25-30 Jesus answered, "I told you, but you don't believe. Everything I have done has been authorized by my Father, actions that speak louder than words. You don't believe because you're not my sheep. My sheep recognize my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them real and eternal life. They are protected from the Destroyer for good. No one can steal them from out of my hand. The Father who put them under my care is so much greater than the Destroyer and Thief. No one could ever get them away from him. I and the Father are one heart and mind."

No comments: