Thursday, July 24, 2014

Verse of the Day 7/24

 
Isaiah 66:22   All these things my hand has made,
    and so all these things came to be,
declares the Lord.
But this is the one to whom I will look:
    he who is humble and contrite in spirit
    and trembles at my word.  English Standard Version (ESV)

The other day I quoted A. W. Tozer asking the question "what comes to your mind when you think about God?"  When you read the Bible, God's Word, especially as expressed by the prophets, they had a high regard, a reverence and yes a "fear" of God.  It came out in their writings and it was also evidenced in their lives.
 
Today's verse comes from the final chapter in Isaiah, one of the great prophets and collections of writings in the Old Testament.  In chapter 57 he referred to God as the High and Lofty One (Isaiah 57:15 NKJV).  He was captivated, compelled, convicted and convinced of the authority of God and His Word.  The thought that God would speak to him and through him would cause him to tremble.
 
The prophet can look back at his life, can look at the temple and can look at the hand of God in all of His creation and declare His majesty.
 
I'll ask the original question with a slight variation "what comes to your mind when you think about the Word of God?  Our response will tell us a lot about what we think about God Himself and the place that He and the Word have in our lives.  The wise will hear and obey His Word.
 
The wise will hear Him and obey His word  Long and blessed will be their days upon the earth  The fool will perish in the folly of his ways  Do you tremble at the Word of God  Have you considered the scope of eternity  In the light of unwavering truth  Have you regarded the works of a strong and mighty hand  Do you tremble at the Word of God    (from the song "Do You Tremble - Wes King)
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

Isaiah 66:1-4The Message (MSG)

Living Worship to God

66 1-2 God's Message:
"Heaven's my throne,
    earth is my footstool.
What sort of house could you build for me?
    What holiday spot reserve for me?
I made all this! I own all this!"
    God's Decree.
"But there is something I'm looking for:
    a person simple and plain,
    reverently responsive to what I say.
3-4 "Your acts of worship
    are acts of sin:
Your sacrificial slaughter of the ox
    is no different from murdering the neighbor;
Your offerings for worship,
    no different from dumping pig's blood on the altar;
Your presentation of memorial gifts,
    no different from honoring a no-god idol.
You choose self-serving worship,
    you delight in self-centered worship—disgusting!
Well, I choose to expose your nonsense
    and let you realize your worst fears,
Because when I invited you, you ignored me;
    when I spoke to you, you brushed me off.
You did the very things I exposed as evil,
    you chose what I hate."

Read more at https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+66%3A1-4&version=MSG#QbD7w2Mu4wtbH6Jl.99

No comments: