Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Verse of the Day 7/8

 
Psalm 84:11-12For the Lord God is a sun and shield.
The Lord gives grace and glory;
He does not withhold the good
from those who live with integrity.
12 
Happy is the person who trusts in You,
Lord of Hosts!   Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
I read a Psalm, or at least part of one, each day in my devotions.  There are certain ones that I look forward to reading as they are coming up.  Psalm 84 is one of those and it is where we go for today's verse.
 
Having just returned from a week of vacation at the beach, today's verse had a greater impact on me.  At the beach we enjoyed the sun and the ocean breezes for several days.  It was a refreshing time spent watching our grandkids enjoy the ocean and playing in the sand.  Later in the week, hurricane Arthur skimmed by us bringing 50 MPH gusts and 10' waves on the surf.  At that time we were happy to have shelter from the storm.  The house where we stayed overlooked the ocean and you could see the wind, rain and waves pounding the shore.  The house was a shield against the storm.
 

The thought of God being the sun and shield of our lives shouldn't be an occasional thought, they should be a reality each day of our lives.  An anonymous quote that I have pasted in my "e-Bible reminds me of that :"Therefore, the mercy and the sovereignty of God are the twin pillars of my life. They are the hope of my future, the energy of my service, the center of my theology, the bond of my marriage, the best medicine in all my sickness, the remedy of all my discouragements."

 
May God be all of these for us, or whichever one we need today, and for all the days of our lives.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

Psalm 84:10-12Living Bible (TLB)

10 A single day spent in your Temple is better than a thousand anywhere else! I would rather be a doorman of the Temple of my God than live in palaces[a] of wickedness.11 For Jehovah God is our Light and our Protector. He gives us grace and glory. No good thing will he withhold from those who walk along his paths.[b]

12 O Lord of the armies of heaven, blessed are those who trust in you.

No comments: