Monday, July 21, 2014

Verse of the Day 7/21

 
Psalm 73:26My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Yesterday in church we sang one of the modernized versions of "It is Well With My Soul".  It has always been one of my favorites and one that has come to me during the storms and trials of my life.  This morning I read today's verse and I thought of it in terms, in light of that old precious hymn and the new refrain.
 
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.
 
It is well, it is well, through the storm I am held,
It is well, it is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well, God has won, Christ prevailed,
It is well, it is well with my soul.
 
The older we get the more we realize that we will face storms and trials in life.  As we do and as we look at them in the rearview mirror, we can see how Christ has prevailed, how He has brought us through.  John Piper writes of Psalm 73:26 "In essence he says, "in my self I feel very weak and helpless and unable to cope.  My body and my heart is almost dead.  But whatever the reason for this despondency, I will not yield.  I will trust God and not myself.  He is my strength and my portion."  Having held on through past storms with this attitude, with this faith, helps us to be more prepared for the next time that our flesh and heart may fail.  We will again have the opportunity to experience and to say that "God is rock-firm and faithful" (The Message), that He will prevail.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

Psalm 73:25-28The Message (MSG)

25-28 You're all I want in heaven!
    You're all I want on earth!
When my skin sags and my bones get brittle,
    God is rock-firm and faithful.
Look! Those who left you are falling apart!
    Deserters, they'll never be heard from again.
But I'm in the very presence of God
    oh, how refreshing it is!
I've made Lord God my home.
    God, I'm telling the world what you do!

No comments: