Thursday, July 17, 2014

Verse of the Day 7/16

 

Revelation 4:1After this I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven! And the first voice, which I had heard speaking to me like a trumpet, said, "Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this."  English Standard Version (ESV)

Over the past few days we've considered the need for "future grace" for the power needed to do what God is calling us to do, to take those steps in "following" Him as the Good Shepherd.
 
Today's verse follows shortly after Revelation 3:20 in which Jesus says "behold I stand at the door and knock".  It is often used in evangelism as an evangelistic verse, a picture of Jesus knocking on the door of an individuals heart, it is actually a picture of Christ knocking on the door of a the church and if anyone will answer His call, His knock.
 
As it was written, there were no chapters and verses in the Bible, they came later.  As written, the "I stand at the door" and the "open door" as described in today's verse flowed together.  The open door is an opportunity.  In John's case it was a call to see a glimpse of what was to come.  Jesus still calls with open doors of opportunity for those who are seeking His future grace.
 
These thoughts brought me to a song that I remember from the Gaither Vocal Band - "Beyond the Open Door".
 
In the things familiar
We find security
Resisting all the changes
The days and years can bring 
When God decides to lead you
Through an open door
Inviting you to walk in realms
You've never known before

Beyond the open door
Is a new and fresh anointing
Hear the spirits calling you to go
Walk on to the door
For the Lord will go before you
Into a greater power 
You've never known before

Where He leads me I will follow
And where He leads me I will follow
And where He leads me I will follow
Into a greater power
You've never known before
Are we willing to "leave the things familiar"?  If we are following, may we listen to His call, and walk on through that door of opportunity in the power of His future grace.   He will show what will happen next. (The Message)
 
Blessings,
Mike
 
Follow the verse of the day at http://www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com/
 

Revelation 3:20-4:1The Message (MSG)

20-21 "Look at me. I stand at the door. I knock. If you hear me call and open the door, I'll come right in and sit down to supper with you. Conquerors will sit alongside me at the head table, just as I, having conquered, took the place of honor at the side of my Father. That's my gift to the conquerors!
22 "Are your ears awake? Listen. Listen to the Wind Words, the Spirit blowing through the churches."

A Door into Heaven

Then I looked, and, oh!—a door open into Heaven. The trumpet-voice, the first voice in my vision, called out, "Ascend and enter. I'll show you what happens next."

No comments: