Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Verse of the Day 1/20

 
Psalm 61:8 So will I ever sing praises to your name,
    as I perform my vows day after day.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
Our Pastor Bob's current series is "Rebound", it is about recovery, it is about bouncing back in the power of God and His Word.  For me the greatest example of this is our son Jeff, but in ways that may not seem significant to some.
He is disabled from a car accident at 16 that left him with a brain injury that has prevented him from a "full recovery".  But he has rebounded, more than doctors ever thought he could.  They told us he'd never walk or talk again.
 
For two years after his accident he was silent.  He did not say a word.  Then, miraculously, he began to speak, at first a few words, mostly with a weak voice.  Fast forward 15 years and his speech is much improved in quality and in strength.  And what he likes to do most is praise.  He inspires us and a whole congregation.  His speech is a blessing to us and to many and it is for God's glory.
 
It is a reminder for me to give thanks, I need to remember this daily.  John MacArthur writes, that "as a regular means of expressing thanksgiving for prayers answered, the psalmist promised daily obedience to his Lord."  The psalm itself is a reminder for me.  It was put into song by Matthew Ward and is one that Jean and I listened to and sang regularly through those times, through those years.  They are a reminder that God is a tower of strength against the enemies of fear and doubt.
 
If you are in need of a "rebound" may that be the response, "turn to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been a refuge, a strong tower against the enemy" whatever, or whoever those enemies may be.
 
Today's verse from The Message also reminds me of Jeff.  While his speech may not sound like poetry to some, it is more than that, more than music to our ears as Jeff sings the words to just about any song.  He sings for God's glory and lives for it every day.
 
And I'll be the poet who sings your glory—
    and live what I sing every day. Psalm 61:8 The Message.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

 

Psalm 61 English Standard Version (ESV)

Lead Me to the Rock

To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. Of David.

Hear my cry, O God,
    listen to my prayer;
from the end of the earth I call to you
    when my heart is faint.
Lead me to the rock
    that is higher than I,
for you have been my refuge,
    a strong tower against the enemy.

Let me dwell in your tent forever!
    Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings! Selah
For you, O God, have heard my vows;
    you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.

Prolong the life of the king;
    may his years endure to all generations!
May he be enthroned forever before God;
    appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him!

So will I ever sing praises to your name,
    as I perform my vows day after day.

No comments: