Friday, January 23, 2015

Verse of the Day 1/23

Verse of the Day 1/23
Proverbs 8:34-35  Happy the one who listens to me,
   attending daily at my gates,
    keeping watch at my doorposts;
35 
For whoever finds me finds life,
    and wins favor from the Lord; New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)

Yesterday we considered how God is keeping watch over us and that it is an active roll, not a passive one.  Today's verse from Proverbs is a reminder that it is a two way street.  God keeping watch over us while we take an active roll in looking to see what He is doing.

I've shared recently how Henry Blackaby in "Experiencing God" encouraged his readers when questioning what their spiritual gift was, to instead see, in effect "keep watch" what God is doing around you and to join in
.
The waiting at His gates, at wisdom's gates, involves waiting on the Lord looking from direction from Him and the best place to get this is daily looking into God's Word, reading and thinking about what we've read in the Bible and applying it in our daily life.

Don't we all want "God's favor" in our lives?  Why not try joining Him in what He is doing in a ministry or area of service.

There is a refrain from an old hymn that came to mind is goes, "Lord bless me and keep me, Thine forever more.  I wish I could remember the name of the hymn, perhaps one of you can help me.  But that line, for me sums up the thoughts of the last couple of days.  It is realizing that it is the Lord who keeps watch over us and the song writer is in the act of waiting at His gates, in His Word every day.  May it be so with us.

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www/mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Proverbs 8:32-36The Message (MSG)

32-36 "So, my dear friends, listen carefully;
    those who embrace these my ways are most blessed.
Mark a life of discipline and live wisely;
    don't squander your precious life.
Blessed the man, blessed the woman, who listens to me,
    awake and ready for me each morning,
    alert and responsive as I start my day's work.
When you find me, you find life, real life,
    to say nothing of God's good pleasure.
But if you wrong me, you damage your very soul;
    when you reject me, you're flirting with death."

No comments: