Thursday, January 29, 2015

Verse of the Day 1/29


 
Psalm 69:13-14  But as for me, my prayer is to you, O Lord.
At an acceptable time, O God,
    in the abundance of your steadfast love answer me in your saving faithfulness.
14 Deliver me
    from sinking in the mire;
let me be delivered from my enemies
    and from the deep waters.   English Standard Version (ESV).

I read today's verses as part of my daily reading in the Psalms.  In this chapter David has that sinking feeling, that the world, the waters and the mire are closing in around him (v,1-3) and where does he turn?  He turns to God, who has been faithful to him in the past and whom he trusts will be faithful to him in the current torrent.

We can face any number of challenges and circumstances in life where we don't see a clear way out, where we feel that we're sinking in the mud, in the muck and mire of life.  The key thing is where do we go, to whom do we turn in these situations?  It just may be that we are facing another one of those defining moments, and our actions will then define us.

David's prayer here is for deliverance, but notice the wording.  It is not demanding, it is hopeful, counting on God to answer him in His timing, at the "acceptable time", being watchful for the answer in God's faithfulness and steadfast love.

May we see God's grace, mercy, faithfulness and steadfast love today or whenever we need it most.

Just when I need Him, Jesus is near,
Just when I falter, just when I fear;
Ready to help me, ready to cheer,
Just when I need Him most.
Refrain
Just when I need Him most,
Just when I need Him most,
Jesus is near to comfort and cheer,
Just when I need Him most.

Just when I need Him, Jesus is true,
Never forsaking all the way through;
Giving for burdens pleasures anew,
Just when I need Him most.

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 69:13-16The Message (MSG)

13 And me? I pray.
God, it's time for a break!
God, answer in love!
Answer with your sure salvation!
14 Rescue me from the swamp,
Don't let me go under for good,
Pull me out of the clutch of the enemy;
This whirlpool is sucking me down.
15 Don't let the swamp be my grave, the Black Hole
Swallow me, its jaws clenched around me.
16 Now answer me, God, because you love me;
Let me see your great mercy full-face.

No comments: