Friday, January 30, 2015

Verse of the Day 1/30


 

Psalm 119:105  Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.   English Standard Version (ESV)


As of today our church is about 2 weeks into 9 week the read through the Bible plan and it will be interesting to see what God has been doing in the hearts and minds of those who have been daily, perhaps for the first time, spending time reading His Word.

One of the great theologians in history, Augustine had gone through his early years enjoying listening to Ambrose but it never sunk in, it didn't have an impact on his "loose" lifestyle.  One day, when visiting a friend Augustine heard a little girl say "Take up and read".  Augustine saw in front of him some of Paul's writings and what he picked up and read was from Romans 13.

Romans 13:13-14Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.  English Standard Version (ESV)

Augustine was moved by what he read, he was motivated, he recalled, "No further would I read, nor needed I: for instantly at the end of this sentence, by a light as if it were of serenity infused into my heart, all darkness and doubt vanished away."  As mentioned earlier, Augustine would go on to be one of the great theologians in Christian history.  It started when he took up and read.

If you have not been reading your Bible, the call is to you today, "take up and read".  May His Word be "infused into your heart"  today a lamp for your feet and a light for your path.  Perhaps you might start with the Psalms or one of the Gospels, but start somewhere and may you "concentrate on doing what God says" (The Message).

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 119:105-112  The MessageBy your words I can see where I'm going;
    they throw a beam of light on my dark path.
I've committed myself and I'll never turn back
    from living by your righteous order.
Everything's falling apart on me, God;
    put me together again with your Word.
Festoon me with your finest sayings, God;
    teach me your holy rules.
My life is as close as my own hands,
    but I don't forget what you have revealed.
The wicked do their best to throw me off track,
    but I don't swerve an inch from your course.
I inherited your book on living; it's mine forever—
    what a gift! And how happy it makes me!
I concentrate on doing exactly what you say—
    I always have and always will.

No comments: