Friday, June 19, 2015

Verse of the Day 6/19


 

Job 27:3-4English Standard Version (ESV)

as long as my breath is in me,
    and the spirit of God is in my nostrils,
my lips will not speak falsehood,
    and my tongue will not utter deceit.

 
Today's verses from Job 27 are probably more significant, more important, more relative to our society as they were in the day they were recorded in the Old Testament.  Job has gone through a lot, the loss of many things and his friends have turned on him challenging his integrity.

Job holds on to who he is as he holds onto his faith in God with a steadfastness that few will ever find or see in life.  John MacArthur writes that "Job affirmed his true and steadfast devotion to righteous (in right standing before God) living, no matter what happened.  He refused to live with a guilty conscience (v.6).  This was no brash claim, because God had recognized Job's virtue.  (1:8, 2:3)

What would today's society look like if men and women who profess faith in Christ would strive to hold to that standard?  It does not matter what standing or place we have in society, whatever office we hold from the bottom all the way to the White House, no matter what.

Sadly, just about everything that we see or hear in the news is "spun" to promote a certain agenda.  The truth is distorted and a distorted truth is really no truth at all.  Job holds onto his integrity, at this point it is about all that he has left. Even though others still question it, God sees it, He knows God's heart and He is the rewarder of those who hold on and stay the course.  those who hold on "will never regret it" (V.6 The Message).

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Job 27:3-6The Message (MSG)

No Place to Hide

27 1-6 Having waited for Zophar, Job now resumed his defense:
"God-Alive! He's denied me justice!
    God Almighty! He's ruined my life!
But for as long as I draw breath,
    and for as long as God breathes life into me,
I refuse to say one word that isn't true.
    I refuse to confess to any charge that's false.
There is no way I'll ever agree to your accusations.
    I'll not deny my integrity even if it costs me my life.
I'm holding fast to my integrity and not loosening my grip—
    and, believe me, I'll never regret it.

No comments: