Sunday, June 28, 2015

Verse of the Day 6/28


Job 42:5-6 I had heard rumors about You,

but now my eyes have seen You.
Therefore I take back my words
and repent in dust and ashes.   Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

The "Today in the Word" devotional from Moody Bible Institute has been going through the book of Job this month.  Job's life and his story are one of following God learning from Him and being counseled by Him.  Through his life Job had heard of God, like most of us probably had, but it was more of rumor, through what others had said but not through personal experience.  Now, through the trails and God's calling directly in his life he knows that he has seen God, has met Him in the midst of it and God has clearly spoken to Him.

The words from "Be Still My Soul" which were written from the words of Psalm 46:10, speak of God's leading through the stormy ways, leading to the joyful end that Job now seeks. "Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side. Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain. / Leave to thy God to order and provide; In every change, He faithful will remain. / Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend / Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end."
I am also reminded of David in Psalm 51 and the account of his repentence, his turning to God in one of the trials of his life which had been brought on by his own   foolish actions.  The Message puts it this way in verse 10:    Don't look too close for blemishes,      give me a clean bill of health.  God, make a fresh start in me,      shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life.    Sometimes are lives seem to be filled with "chaos".  If you find yourself there, do like David, do like Job, turn to God, let Him change your ways, do a Genesis work in your life and let Him lead to a joyful end.    May we seek to know Him better, see Him now spiritually (Amplifed Bible) , and "never again live on crusts of hearsay, crumbs of rumor."-- V.46 The Message  In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Job 42:1-6The Message (MSG)

Job Worships God

I Babbled On About Things Far Beyond Me

42 1-6 Job answered God:

"I'm convinced: You can do anything and everything.
    Nothing and no one can upset your plans.
You asked, 'Who is this muddying the water,
    ignorantly confusing the issue, second-guessing my purposes?'
I admit it. I was the one. I babbled on about things far beyond me,
    made small talk about wonders way over my head.
You told me, 'Listen, and let me do the talking.
    Let me ask the questions. You give the answers.'
I admit I once lived by rumors of you;
    now I have it all firsthand—from my own eyes and ears!
I'm sorry—forgive me. I'll never do that again, I promise!
    I'll never again live on crusts of hearsay, crumbs of rumor."

  

No comments: