Friday, June 5, 2015

Verse of the Day 6/5

Verse of the Day 6/5

John 14:26-27 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.  English Standard Version (ESV)

Earlier in the week we had looked at Isaiah 1:18 which called for God's people to "come, let's reason together" in order to learn from Him, to learn to do good, to seek justice and to help those in need. 

I've quoted John 14:27 several times in the "Verse of the Day" over the years but had not started with verse 26, about the Helper, the Comforter, the Holy Spirit whom Jesus referred to here that would come alongside us "to represent Jesus and act on His behalf" (Amplified Bible below).  If we have put our faith and trust in Jesus and submit to Him, the Holy Spirit is present in our lives.  He is teaching us, leading us and causing us to remember what we have been taught in God's Word.

I like the final "amplifications" from verse 27 in the Amplified Bible, "stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed, and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated".  Do any of us need that advice today?   Settle into God's Word in these verses and let God, let the Holy Spirit settle you, and give you peace.

Yesterday we considered how our "staggeringly complex and diverse world" have rejected God.     Max Lucado writes, "Evil wickedness and deceit define how a world without God behaves.  Yet the righteous live according to God's commands.  Truth, justice and a passion for righteousness (right standing before God) please God.  His love is immeasurable."  In a world in turmoil may we show the peace of God in our lives as the Holy Spirit teaches us to "let not your heart be troubled" , nor let us fear for God IS with us and "His love is immeasurable".

I'll end with a couple more verses from Isaiah 35 which just happened to be in my read through the Bible reading for today.

Isaiah 35:3-4English Standard Version (ESV)

Strengthen the weak hands,
    and make firm the feeble knees.
Say to those who have an anxious heart,
    "Be strong; fear not!
Behold, your God
    will come with vengeance,
with the recompense of God.
    He will come and save you."


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 14:26-27Amplified Bible (AMP)

26 But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you.

27 Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]

  

No comments: