Friday, June 26, 2015

Verse of the Day 6/26


Isaiah 30:21  And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.  English Standard Version (ESV)

As I read today's verse and the words "a voice from behind you" the picture that first came to mind was that of a "back seat driver".  We've all had the experience of driving, being in control, knowing where we're going and how we're going to get there when another passenger in back of or beside you; suggests an alternative route.  Sometimes we shrug it off, sometimes we'll actually argue about it and sometimes we'll listen to the direction.

GPS units give us advice.  They are not perfect, but I have had the experience when driving across town in a familiar city that I had traveled "my route " for years, when I took the advice of the voice on the unit and cut the time almost in half.

The flip side of the back seat driver is going on a hike with a person.  It is new for you but they've traveled the path before.  They may let you take the lead, but when you come to a fork in the path they'll say "stay to the right, that other path does not lead to where we're going".  That is the true image of this passage.  Jesus has gone before us, He knows the "winding path that we tread".  If we are in tune and in step with Him, He will lead us down the right trails to bring us to the place that we're going, a place He's prepared  for us.

I'm reminded of the Fanny Crosby hymn, "All the Way My Savior Leads Me".   Here is the second stanza.

  1. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Cheers each winding path I tread,
    Gives me grace for every trial,
    Feeds me with the living Bread.
    Though my weary steps may falter
    And my soul athirst may be,
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see;
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see.

Throughout the Bible we'll find people that God has spoken to, given direction, David and Isaiah to name two.  They are there because they listened to His voice.  Our Teacher our Guide is right there behind and beside us, will you listen to His voice?

"This God is my God forever and ever! He will be my guide even unto death!" Psalm 48:14
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Isaiah 30:19-22The Message (MSG)

19-22 Oh yes, people of Zion, citizens of Jerusalem, your time of tears is over. Cry for help and you'll find it's grace and more grace. The moment he hears, he'll answer. Just as the Master kept you alive during the hard times, he'll keep your teacher alive and present among you. Your teacher will be right there, local and on the job, urging you on whenever you wander left or right: "This is the right road. Walk down this road." You'll scrap your expensive and fashionable god-images. You'll throw them in the trash as so much garbage, saying, "Good riddance!"

  

No comments: