Thursday, August 20, 2015

Verse of the Day 8/20

Psalm 16:11You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy;   at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. 

English Standard Version (ESV)

I read today's verse in my devotions this morning and as I read the words "in your presence" I was reminded again of the hymn that  I quoted yesterday, "I Surrender All" and the line "in His presence daily  live".  This verse and this passage are all about living in the presence of God, being conscious of it, aware of it and following the path of life.

In verse 6 of the passage the psalmist writes, the lines have fallen for me in pleasant places.  As David looks back over his life, He can see where God has led him and brought him.  It wasn't always the smoothest path but it was rewarding.   The word lines speaks of boundaries.  God sets the boundaries of  our lives.  I also thought of the word "lines" as if looking on a map of our lives where we've gone laid out before us bringing back memories of points along the way where God has brought the joys of family and the pleasures, the treasures of family and friends in our lives.

Yesterday we considered how our burdens can be relieved and released if we turn to God.  They can be replaced by His presence in our lives.  Billy Graham writes, "God's gift of redemption says, "I will buy you back with My blood because I love you. I will free you from the chains of sin. I will settle the conflict within and give peace to your soul. But you must come to Me with a repentant heart. You must be willing to be redeemed. You must exchange your sin-blackened heart for a new heart that is cleansed by My blood."

The question is are we willing to be redeemed?  If so, Christ will make the great exchange and will lead us, His presence to guide us in our lives.

I'll close with an old Fannie Crosby hymn, "All the Way My Savior Leads Me" it is a picture of someone who can look back at the paths taken the boundaries placed in a life and the grace that God gives allowing "fullness of joy" to blossom in that life.

  1. All the way my Savior leads me,
    What have I to ask beside?
    Can I doubt His tender mercy,
    Who through life has been my Guide?
    Heav'nly peace, divinest comfort,
    Here by faith in Him to dwell!
    For I know, whate'er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well;
    For I know, whate'er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well.
  2. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Cheers each winding path I tread,
    Gives me grace for every trial,
    Feeds me with the living Bread.
    Though my weary steps may falter
    And my soul athirst may be,
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see;
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 16:5-11Amplified Bible (AMP)

The Lord is my chosen and assigned portion, my cup; You hold and maintain my lot.

The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; yes, I have a good heritage.

I will bless the Lord, Who has given me counsel; yes, my heart instructs me in the night seasons.

I have set the Lord continually before me; because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

Therefore my heart is glad and my glory [my inner self] rejoices; my body too shall rest and confidently dwell in safety,

10 For You will not abandon me to Sheol (the place of the dead), neither will You suffer Your holy one [Holy One] to see corruption.

11 You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore.

  

No comments: