Thursday, August 6, 2015

Verse of the Day 8/6


The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever.

Today's verse is the verse of the day from Bible Gateway.  It was the first verse that I read in my devotions this morning. It made me stop and think about God's Word, its importance in my life and for all of us.  I kept in in mind as a backdrop to all of the other passages that I went on to read.

If you were to look around at people in our lives and in the news what word would you use to sum up their lives?  What one word would you use to sum up your life?  It is humbling and thought provoking.  Unfortunately "truth" would probably be pretty far down the list.  Would liar, deceiver, selfish, be a word used for some?  Perhaps you would use generous, kind, loving to sum up some people, but truth?  Only God can measure up to that.

My daily read through the Bible New Testament passage was in Romans 8 which starts in verse1 with "there is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus".  The chapter ends in verse 39 with "nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."  Those bookends in Romans 8 and everything else in that great chapter are full of God's truth including Romans 8:28.

Romans 8:28  And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,[a] for those who are called according to his purpose.  English Standard Version (ESV)


Another devotional brought me to John 1 where we read:

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.  English Standard Version (ESV)

Jesus us the Word made flesh, the embodiment of grace and truth.  May we take hold of that truth, may we hold onto Jesus and may His truth show through us in our lives.  May we see "truth" in every passage we read, and when Jesus asks us "do you believe this?", may our answer be YES!

John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?"  English Standard Version (ESV)





 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Take a good look at my trouble, and help me— I haven't forgotten your revelation. Take my side and get me out of this; give me back my life, just as you promised. "Salvation" is only gibberish to the wicked because they've never looked it up in your dictionary. Your mercies, God, run into the billions; following your guidelines, revive me. My antagonists are too many to count, but I don't swerve from the directions you gave. I took one look at the quitters and was filled with loathing; they walked away from your promises so casually! Take note of how I love what you tell me; out of your life of love, prolong my life. Your words all add up to the sum total: Truth. Your righteous decisions are eternal.

No comments: