Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Verse of the Day 8/26


Jeremiah 29:11-12 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  New King James Version (NKJV)

In my devotional this morning, my Old Testament reading has recently been in the book of Jeremiah.  Today's passages is one my favorites in that book and in the whole Old Testament.  As I read it today what caught my attention was the concept of God's thinking "toward" you.  Some translations say "for" and the NKJV uses toward.  The meaning ins basically the same but there are subtle differences. Think about what it means for God's thoughts to be towards you.  They are for what's best for you and as the verse goes on to say "thoughts of peace, of a future and a hope.  Can't we all use that today in the trials and challenges that we face in life?

Through the years I've had the privilege of having friends that restore cars.  They see an old car, sometimes a wreck and they go ahead and purchase that vehicle.  When they see it they have thoughts "towards" them.  They see it not as a piece of junk or a wreck but for what they can do to it.  To restore an engine or a transmission, to make the car in some cases better than original.  I know, and I've been on the receiving end of it .  The restoration also brings great joy to the one who does the restoring, and it is not always done for the benefit of the one doing the restoring but for someone else.  A friend of mine gets great joy and satisfaction out of helping restore other peoples cars.  He gets joy out of the joy that he brings to others who see that transformation take place in a vehicle.  I've seen it first hand (thanks Don!).  God does it for the joy of seeing what it will bring to us and those whom we then can serve and spread joy as we play a role in their restoration.

God sees us and His thoughts are "towards" us and as The Messages states in verse 14, "I'll turn things around for you, ... you can count on it".  Are you in need of restoration?   God has plans for you, be on the lookout for who He will bring into your life to assist in the work.
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Jeremiah 29:10-14The Message (MSG)

10-11 This is God's Word on the subject: "As soon as Babylon's seventy years are up and not a day before, I'll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

12 "When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen.

13-14 "When you come looking for me, you'll find me.

"Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed." God's Decree.

"I'll turn things around for you. I'll bring you back from all the countries into which I drove you"—God's Decree—"bring you home to the place from which I sent you off into exile. You can count on it.

  

No comments: