Friday, August 21, 2015

Verse of the Day 8/21


Psalm 73:23-24 Nevertheless I am continually with You; You do hold my right hand.

24 You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to honor and glory.  Amplified Bible (AMP)


In today's verses we'll continue in the thoughts of living in God's presence.  The Bible is full of examples of people who lived in and were aware of God's presence in their lives.   Moses, David, the prophets and the disciples in the Testament.  One of the things that I really appreciate in reading through the Bible is just how real it is.  God's followers through the ages have not been perfect people, in actions or in their full trust or perhaps understanding of God's will.  Nevertheless, they do ultimately realize that He was with them.

In today's passage the psalmist has been going through some struggles and has some serious questions that He brings to God.  Max Lucado writes, "a misconception people have in dealing with life's troubles is that is wrong to ask why - that a Christian simply accepts and never questions.  Abraham, Moses and David all interceded and struggled to understand God.  But the lives of these men model for us a total reliance on God, even in the midst of questioning....... It is not a sin to doubt.  Disbelief is sin, but questioning- sincerely seeking- is acceptable to God, because in the presence of God you may ask any question you want."

The events, the circumstances in our lives can cause us to "struggle to understand God".  But if we are living in His presence, we can be honest with God and He will guide us with His counsel, the best advise that we can get.  This is the pathway to honor and glory.

I'm reminded of the old Thomas Dorsey hymn, "Precious Lord, Take My Hand", may it be a reminder of His presence and  an encouragement to us today.

Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on, let me stand
I'm tired, I'm weak, I'm lone
Through the storm, through the night
Lead me on to the light
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home
When my way grows drear precious Lord linger near
When my light is almost gone
Hear my cry, hear my call
Hold my hand lest I fall
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home
In the midst of lives struggles, call out to Him, ask Him to lead and to guide.  Even in the midst of it, may you be able to say as the psalmist did "But I'm in the very presence of God
    oh, how refreshing it is!"  The Message.
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 73:21-28The Message (MSG)

21-24 When I was beleaguered and bitter,
    totally consumed by envy,
I was totally ignorant, a dumb ox
    in your very presence.
I'm still in your presence,
    but you've taken my hand.
You wisely and tenderly lead me,
    and then you bless me.

25-28 You're all I want in heaven!
    You're all I want on earth!
When my skin sags and my bones get brittle,
    God is rock-firm and faithful.
Look! Those who left you are falling apart!
    Deserters, they'll never be heard from again.
But I'm in the very presence of God
    oh, how refreshing it is!
I've made Lord God my home.
    God, I'm telling the world what you do!

  

No comments: