Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Verse of the Day 3/1

Verse of the Day 3/1

Deuteronomy 5:32-33  You shall be careful therefore to do as the Lord your God has commanded you. You shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left.33 You shall walk in all the way that the Lord your God has commanded you, that you may live, and that it may go well with you, and that you may live long in the land that you shall possess.   English Standard Version (ESV)

For today's verses we'll return to the book of Deuteronomy and the repeated calls put out by God, through Moses, to His people, to remember  Him to "walk in His ways" and to follow His path.  Many people, including Christians are aware of God' commands but choose not to heed them, pay attention to them and some totally disregard them.

What would it be like to drive where no one obeyed the rules of the road, disregarding  stop signs, traffic signals and speed limits.  I've been in Mexico City and it is  probably the closest thing to that.  It is chaos.  Our lives are crazy enough as it is but if we know God's Word, have it in our hearts but choose to ignore or disregard it, it will lead to chaos in our lives.

If  you've ever hiked in the mountains there are trails and paths that have a destination in mind. There are signs at forks in the path showing which is the right way to go.  If you stray from it, you may find yourself at a dead end or worse, ending  up on the far side of the mountain with no shortcuts back to the right path to your destination.

Through this season of Lent, we are to follow His path, not turn to the right or left, not compromise with God's call for us.

Read the words to the old hymn below,   "Come Thou Fount".  May we not wander, straying to the right or left, but keep to the narrow way.  May we raise our "Ebenezer", a stone of remembrance of what God has done for us, looking to what He will do for and through us as we follow along His path.

Come, Thou Fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Streams of mercy, never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above
Praise the mount, I'm fixed upon it
Mount of Thy unchanging love
Here I raise my Ebenezer
Here there by Thy great help I've come
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home
Jesus sought me when a stranger
Wandering from the fold of God
He, to rescue me from danger
Interposed His precious blood
O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be
Let that grace now, like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, O take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Deuteronomy 5:28-33The Message (MSG)

28-29 God heard what you said to me and told me, "I've heard what the people said to you. They're right—good and true words. What I wouldn't give if they'd always feel this way, continuing to revere me and always keep all my commands; they'd have a good life forever, they and their children!

30-31 "Go ahead and tell them to go home to their tents. But you, you stay here with me so I can tell you every commandment and all the rules and regulations that you must teach them so they'll know how to live in the land that I'm giving them as their own."

32-33 So be very careful to act exactly as God commands you. Don't veer off to the right or the left. Walk straight down the road God commands so that you'll have a good life and live a long time in the land that you're about to possess.

  

No comments: