Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Verse of the Day 3/15

 
Verse of the Day 3/15
 
Revelation 1:17b-18  But he laid his right hand on me, saying, "Fear not, I am the first and the last, 18 and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
I read today's verse the other day in reference to Christ being the "ever living  One".  Through His resurrection, He proved  that He has power  over death and that  we need  not  fear it.  Today's verses reassure us that He is the "first and the last" the "beginning and the end" and  that He  holds the  keys to  life and  death.
 
John MacArthur notes in my ESV study Bible that "death is  the condition"and Hades or "Sheol" in the Old Testament, "is the place of  the dead".  The condition of those who will forever be separated for God is death and the  place where  death will reside is Hades, a picture  of  continual burning  and  torment.  Not  a  pretty picture.
 
 Luke 6:26 tells us "besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.'  (ESV)  Seems hopeless, but Jesus provided "the  way, the truth  and  the life" (John 14:6) to bridge that gap for those who believe that He lives.
 
Hudson Taylor, the great missionary wrote, "There is  a living God.  He  has spoken in the Bible.  He means what He  says and will do  what He promised."  Instead of fearing death, we are encouraged that we belong to and  serve the living  One.  J. R. Miller  writes:
 
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God!" cried the psalmist, and cries every redeemed soul. It is only as we realize the truth of a living Christ--that our hearts are satisfied. We crave love . . .
  a bosom to lean upon,
  a hand to touch ours,
  a heart whose beatings we can feel,
  a personal friendship that will come into our life with . . . 
    its sympathy,
    its inspiration, 
    its companionship, 
    its shelter, 
    its life, and
    its comfort.
 
All this, the living Christ is to us!  
 
I serve a risen Saviour, He's in the world today
I know that He is living, whatever men may say
I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer
And just the time I need Him He's always near
 
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Christ Jesus lives today
He walks with me and talks with me
Along life's narrow way
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Salvation to impart
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart
 
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
Revelation 1:17-20The Message (MSG)
I saw this and fainted dead at his feet. His right hand pulled me upright, his voice reassured me:
17-20 "Don't fear: I am First, I am Last, I'm Alive. I died, but I came to life, and my life is now forever. See these keys in my hand? They open and lock Death's doors, they open and lock Hell's gates. Now write down everything you see: things that are, things about to be. The Seven Stars you saw in my right hand and the seven-branched gold menorah—do you want to know what's behind them? The Seven Stars are the Angels of the seven churches; the menorah's seven branches are the seven churches."
 

 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: