Friday, November 10, 2017

Verse of the Day 11/10

Verse of the Day 11/10

Hebrews 6:19  This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast, and which enters the Presence behind the veil,   New King James Version (NKJV)

Today's verse comes from the read through the New Testament plan that I follow.  Each year, I look forward to reading through the book of Hebrews.  This book along with Romans and the gospels are my favorite New Testament books.  One of the reasons for this come out of this verse, the hope that I find in the words of this book, not only the words, but the Person, the God who is the true author of the book breathed through a man, is the anchor of my soul.  They have comforted me in times of trouble and sorrow and challenged me to press on and hopefully, spur others on in their walk of faith.

Recently we considered Hebrews 2 and that we should never neglect our salvation by "drifting away".  (2:1).  The way not to drift away is to remain anchored, attached to the sure, steadfast, immovable object, God.  I like the way the Amplified Bible puts it (below) "it cannot slip and it cannot break down under whatever pressure bears upon it."   So may our hope and our faith be.  These thoughts lead me directly to chapter 11 and the Hall of Faith, one of my favorite chapters where we read:

Hebrews 11:1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.   New King James Version (NKJV)

Now take that in.  Faith in God is not Jello, it is not wishy washy, here today and gone tomorrow.  It is substance, it is tangible, it is secure and it is evidence of the hope, that steadfast anchor of our souls.  Christ died that we might have this.  The veil was torn in two and we now have access, through Christ, to the Father.  He is there interceding for us when we call upon Him, when we need Him, when we need Him most.

  1. Just when I need Him, Jesus is near,
    Just when I falter, just when I fear;
    Ready to help me, ready to cheer,
    Just when I need Him most.
    • Refrain:
      Just when I need Him most,
      Just when I need Him most,
      Jesus is near to comfort and cheer,
      Just when I need Him most.
  2. Just when I need Him, Jesus is strong,
    Bearing my burdens all the day long;
    For all my sorrow giving a song,
    Just when I need Him most.
  3. Just when I need Him, He is my all,
    Answering when upon Him I call;
    Tenderly watching lest I should fall,
    Just when I need Him most.
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Hebrews 6:17-20Amplified Bible (AMP)

17 In the same way God, in His desire to show to the heirs of the promise the unchangeable nature of His purpose, intervened and guaranteed it with an oath, 18 so that by two unchangeable things [His promise and His oath] in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled [to Him] for refuge would have strong encouragement and indwelling strength to hold tightly to the hope set before us. 19 This hope [this confident assurance] we have as an anchor of the soul [it cannot slip and it cannot break down under whatever pressure bears upon it]—a safe and steadfast hope that enters within the veil [of the heavenly temple, that most Holy Place in which the very presence of God dwells], 20 where Jesus has entered [in advance] as a forerunner for us, having become a High Priest forever according to the order of [a]Melchizedek.

No comments: