Thursday, November 16, 2017

Verse of the Day 11/16

Verse of the Day 11/16
 
Romans 6:14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
I've been fighting a cold or sinus infection for over a week and let it get a good hold on me.  My wife Jean encouraged me to see a doctor to get an antibiotic to knock it out.  I thought that I was feeling better and put it off only to have it get worse.  I finally went to the nurse, got a prescription and am now beginning to feel better.
 
While driving the other day I listened to a sermon by John Piper where he referenced today's verse.  He also referenced the old song in relation to it "O For A Thousand Tongues to Sing" and the line that stood out was "He breaks the power of cancelled sin, He sets the prisoner free".  We are towards sin, much like I was towards this sinus infection, thinking "it's not so bad, it will go away or I can rest, takes some cold pills and I'll feel better.  I may feel better for a while but it doesn't get to the root of my problem, the infection that is still there and will rear its head when the body gets worn down.  Then it takes over.
 
So it is with sin in our lives.   Guilt can hang over us like a cloud.  We may put it away for a time, but when we are run down it can rear its ugly head.  We have no power over  it on our own, but He can break that power, He has cancelled the debt and set us free.  With the weight and the guilt gone we then have a case of the "can't help it's", we can't help but tell others, we can't help but sing His praise.
 
Read the hymn and think of it in terms of sin and forgiveness and what it does for us.  I've changed the order from the original to go along with these thoughts.
 
  1. He breaks the pow'r of canceled sin,
    He sets the pris'ner free;
    His blood can make the foulest clean,
    His blood availed for me.
  2. Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
    That bids our sorrows cease—
    'Tis music in the sinner's ears,
    'Tis life, and health, and peace.
  3.  
  4. Oh, for a thousand tongues to sing
    My great Redeemer's praise,
    The glories of my God and king,
    The triumphs of His grace!
  5. My gracious Master and my God,
    Assist me to proclaim,
    To spread through all the earth abroad,
    The honors of Thy name.
    I'm happy to be feeling better, regret that I was too stubborn,  likewise I'm happy that I've been forgiven, in both cases the power has been broken and I've been set free.
     
    Blessings,
     
    Mike
     
    Romans 6:12-18The Message (MSG)
    12-14 That means you must not give sin a vote in the way you conduct your lives. Don't give it the time of day. Don't even run little errands that are connected with that old way of life. Throw yourselves wholeheartedly and full-time—remember, you've been raised from the dead!—into God's way of doing things. Sin can't tell you how to live. After all, you're not living under that old tyranny any longer. You're living in the freedom of God.
     
     
     

 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: