Saturday, February 17, 2018

Verse of the Day 2/17

Verse of the Day 2/17

Hebrews 11:3   By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.    English Standard Version (ESV)

In my read through New Testament plan, today's reading was from Matthew 28 where in verses 8-11 the Jesus appears to the women outside the tomb and tells them to "go and tell my brothers".  I'm reading the "Pursuit of God" study Bible with quotes and notes from A.W. Tozer.  In reference to this verse he noted that "Faith is confidence in the character of a moral being which takes the word as being completely trustworthy and rests in it without question.  Imagination is the power to visualize, to create in the mind a picture of things unseen."

These thoughts brought my mind to this passage in Hebrews 11 where in verse 1 that faith is the assurance, the confirmation  of things hoped for and the evidence, the conviction of things not seen.  Faith is real, it is substance and gives us hope, it gives us hope with and imagination of what will be while at the same time giving us confidence to live today looking forward to that future reality.

When I read Tozer's quote I was also reminded of the Mercy Me song "I Can Only Imagine".  The words to that song brought me back to the women at the tomb and I wondered "I can only imagine" what it would have been like for them, what was going through their minds at that moment?  What had Jesus words done for their heartbreak after his crucifixion?  What would it do for their confidence to go and tell the disciples?  I'm sure it didn't stop their.  As Tozer noted, "they took his word without question" and went and told others, they probably told everyone that they knew.

What will you feel when "that day comes and you find yourself standing in the presence of the Son?

I can only imagine when that day comes
When I find myself standing in the Son
I can only imagine when all I would do is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
Surrounded by Your glory
What will my heart feel
Will I dance for You, Jesus
Or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence
Or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah
Will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine

(Mercy Me - Bart Millard)



--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Hebrews 11:1-3 The Message (MSG)

Faith in What We Don't See

11 1-2 The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It's our handle on what we can't see. The act of faith is what distinguished our ancestors, set them above the crowd.

By faith, we see the world called into existence by God's word, what we see created by what we don't see.

No comments: