Sunday, February 4, 2018

Verse of the Day 2/4

Verse of the Day 2/4
 
Isaiah 55:2-3  Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
    and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen diligently to me, and eat what is good,
    and delight yourselves in rich food.
Incline your ear, and come to me;
    hear, that your soul may live;
and I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
    my steadfast, sure love for David.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
As I read these verses yesterday I was struck by a couple of words.  The first was "incline" your ear.  We've considered it recently, but again, it is a picture of leaning in to hear, taking the extra effort to hear and important message, and the message is from God.  As we go through life, especially in tough times we make decisions.  One of them is whether to turn to or to turn away from and tune out God.  The prophet here says to "listen diligently", take in and delight in God's Word and the Lord Himself.
 
The other word that shows up three times in the three verses in the passage in the NLT is "come", come to me.  It is a call in those times and at any time, to come, to listen, to lean into and to lean on God.  Verse one tells us to come, don't worry, it's not going to cost you, just come.  You don't have to clean up your act.  You don't have to prove yourself worthy, just come.
 
Jesus conveyed the same kind of feelings in Matthew 11:
 

Matthew 11:28-30  Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."  New Living Translation (NLT)

 

Are your skies dark and stormy today?  Jesus says come, find rest in me.  It gives us confidence and hope in brighter days on the horizon.  The steadfast love that God showed towards David in his trials, challenges and ups and downs is there for us.  Jesus calls us to move, to come to Him.
 
This hurt is getting heavy
But I'm not about to cave
Everything is about to change
There's gonna be brighter days
 
I just might bend but I won't break
As long as I can see your face
When life won't play along and right keeps going wrong
And I can't seem to find my way
I know where I am found, so I won't let it drag me down, oh
 
I'm not about to give up
Because I heard you say
There's gonna be brighter days
There's gonna be brighter days    ("Move"  - Mercy Me)
 
 I'll close with the view I had this morning as these thoughts came to mind.
Image may contain: cloud, sky, ocean, outdoor, water and nature
Blessings,
 
Mike
 

Isaiah 55 New Living Translation (NLT)

Invitation to the Lord's Salvation

55 "Is anyone thirsty?
    Come and drink—
    even if you have no money!
Come, take your choice of wine or milk—
    it's all free!
Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength?
    Why pay for food that does you no good?
Listen to me, and you will eat what is good.
    You will enjoy the finest food.
"Come to me with your ears wide open.
    Listen, and you will find life.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you.
    I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David.
 
 
 
 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: