Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Verse of the Day 12/11

Verse of the Day 12/111

Proverbs 18:24 A man who has friends must himself be friendly,

But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.    New King James Version (NKJV)

Most of us have probably read and heard today's verses many times before.  The NKJV above gives a basic requirement of having friends, you yourself must be friendly.  It is the starting point the basis for friendships.

Social media has helped redefine friends.  On social media you will find people who have hundreds and perhaps thousands of "friends" but what kind of friends are they, most likely, few of them will "stick closer than a brother".  We may have friends that we have not seen in years that we may still consider "close".  When we meet them again, it seems that things pick up where they left off and in a pinch, they would be there for us.

I have the following notes in regards to this verse in my MacArthur Study Bible:

"The person who makes friends too easily and indiscriminately does so to his own destruction. On the other hand, a friend chosen wisely is more loyal than a brother. friend. This is a strong word meaning "one who loves" and was used of Abraham, God's friend"   ― from "The MacArthur Study Bible"

As we prepare to celebrate Christmas, as Christians we realize that Jesus came as Savior to redeem us to save us and deliver us from our sins.  What a privilege to be a friend of God.

Jesus! What a friend for sinners
Jesus, lover of my soul
Friends may fail me, foes assail me
He, my savior, makes me whole
Hallelujah! What a savior!
Hallelujah! What a friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving
He is with me to the end
Jesus! What a strength in weakness
Let my hide myself in Him
Tempted, tried, and often failing
He my strength, my victory wins
Jesus! What a help in sorrow
While the billow over me roll
Even when my heart is breaking,
He, my Comfort, helps my soul       (Matthew Smith)
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Proverbs 18:19-24 New King James Version (NKJV)

19 A brother offended is harder to win than a strong city,
And contentions are like the bars of a castle.

20 A man's stomach shall be satisfied from the fruit of his mouth;
From the produce of his lips he shall be filled.

21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.

22 He who finds a wife finds a good thing,
And obtains favor from the Lord.

23 The poor man uses entreaties,
But the rich answers roughly.

24 A man who has friends [a]must himself be friendly,
But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

No comments: