Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Verse of the Day 12/17

Verse of the Day 12?17

Luke 1:37    For the word of God will never fail."     New Living Translation (NLT)

I read today's verse this morning in a devotional from Pastor Greg Laurie.  Most other translations of this verse, such as the New King James Version below say something like "for with God nothing will be impossible."  The translations seem quite different, but when you step back and think for a moment, you realize that they really point to the same thing.  God's Word stands, it is eternal, never changing and it is full of His promises and He truly do the impossible, I know, I've seen some of His miracles firsthand.

As we prepare to celebrate Christmas we will here many quotes from the book of Isaiah, Psalms and other books about the coming of the Messiah.  Those were prophecies, those were promises of God to His people including us today.  We can be thankful every day that His Word will not fail.  But we need to play a part in it as well.  We need to receive His Word, pray over it and apply it in our lives to have the full impact and benefit.

Greg Laurie related it to gift cards that are very popular nowadays.  He pointed out that there are millions of dollars worth of unused gift cards that expire every year.  I know, I recently came across one that I finally though I'd use only to find that it had expired.  Because I did not use it, I failed to receive the benefit.   Maybe you have one in your wallet or dresser drawer that hasn't been used.  Use it before it expires.

Greg Laurie writes, "That is what the promises of God are like. They're just sitting there in the Bible, waiting for us to take hold of. But if we don't read the Bible, we won't know God's promises. We need to read them, believe them, and start living these promises out."

As we head towards the New Year, may we all make a commitment to take advantage of God's Word and stand on His promises, they will not fail.

Standing on the promises of Christ my King
Through eternal ages let his praises ring
Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing
Standing on the promises of God
Standing, standing
Standing on the promises of God my Savior
Standing, standing
I'm standing on the promises of God
Standing on the promises, I cannot fall
Listening every moment to the Spirit's call
Resting in my Savior as my all in all
Standing on the promises of God
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Luke 1:36-38 New King James Version (NKJV)

36 Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren. 37 For with God nothing will be impossible."

38 Then Mary said, "Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.

No comments: