Thursday, December 5, 2019

Verse of the Day 12/5

Verse of the Day 12/5   

1 John 3:1-2  Look with wonder at the depth of the Father's marvelous love that he has lavished on us! He has called us and made us his very own beloved children. The reason the world doesn't recognize who we are is that they didn't recognize him. Beloved, we are God's children right now; however, it is not yet apparent what we will become. But we do know that when it is finally made visible, we will be just like him, for we will see him as he truly is.  The Passion Translation (TPT)

Three times over the past several days the subject of wonder has come to my mind.  First, on Sunday, our Pastor Bob's sermon was titled "The Wonder of it All" which revolved around Mary and the virgin birth and the "wonder" that she expressed as she began to realize the magnitude of what was unfolding. While the following verses don't contain the word "wonder", the feeling is there.

Luke 1:48-49 For he set his tender gaze upon me, his lowly servant girl.[a]

    And from here on, everyone will know
    that I have been favored and blessed.
49 The Mighty One has worked a mighty miracle for me;
    holy is his name!  The Passion Translation (TPT)

I mentioned last week how I was amazed at all of God's creation as I watched life in the woods for a day.  It brought my mind to the song "The Wonder of it All".
There's the wonder of sunset at evening,
The wonder as sunrise I see;
But the wonder of wonders that thrills my soul
Is the wonder that God loves me.
O, the wonder of it all! The wonder of it all!
Just to think that God loves me.
O, the wonder of it all! The wonder of it all!
Just to think that God loves me.
There's the wonder of springtime and harvest,
The sky, the stars, and the sun;
But the wonder of wonders that thrills my soul
Is a wonder that's just begun.
O, the wonder of it all! The wonder of it all!
Just to think that God loves me.
O, the wonder of it all! The wonder of it all!
Just to think that God loves me
Just to think that God loves me                          (George Beverly Shea)

Thirdly today's verse came up in my daily New Testament reading plan and it pointed to perhaps the greatest wonder, the depths of the Father's great love for me, for us, that God would send Jesus to redeem us.

May we truly take some time to step back in wonder and consider what God has done for us not only in this season, but in our lives and throughout history, and that we will be made "just like Him".  (1 John 3:2).


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

1 John 3:1-3 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Command to Love

Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of [a]God! Therefore the world does not know [b]us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

No comments: