Sunday, June 21, 2020

Verse of the Day 6/22

Verse of the Day 6/22

Ephesians 6:4   Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.   New International Version (NIV)

My dad passed away in 2011 so it has been many years since we spent a Father's Day together.  But each day of my life I remember him with fondness as a loving father, an encourager, a coach and a friend.  In reading today's verse I am thankful that he did not make it a regular practice to "exasperate" me.  I'm hoping that I was the same kind of father in the eye's of my children.

I'm reminded of the movie "I Can Only Imagine" based on the Mercy Me song of the same title.  It was the story of a broken relationship between father and son where the father "exasperated" his son on a regular basis throughout the childhood of Bart Millard.  But through the mercy and love of God, their relationship was brought to the place it should be, it was formed to a proper father and son relationship prior to his father's death to cancer.

No matter what our relationship is or was with our fathers, Jesus has the power to make that relationship what it should be. For some of us it may not happen on this earth but we can look forward to a proper relationship with our heavenly Father when our days an this earth are through.  Until then we can only imagine.

I can only imagine what it will be like
When I walk, by your side
I can only imagine what my eyes will see
When you face is before me
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
Surrounded by You glory
What will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus
Or in awe of You be still
Will I stand in your presence
Or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah
Will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Ephesians 6 New King James Version (NKJV)

Children and Parents

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother," which is the first commandment with promise: "that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth."

And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.

No comments: