Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Verse of the Day 6/9

Verse of the Day 6/9

Jeremiah 2:11-12   Has any nation ever traded its gods for new ones,

    even though they are not gods at all?
Yet my people have exchanged their glorious God
    for worthless idols!
12 The heavens are shocked at such a thing
    and shrink back in horror and dismay,"
    says the Lord.     New Living Translation (NLT)

My Old Testament reading plan has brought me to the book of Jeremiah where we'll go for today's verse.  Back in those days the people of each nation had their own "gods" that they worshiped. A victory over another nation or kingdom revealed that the god of the victor was superior.  A nation wouldn't think of changing gods when they were on a string of victories.  It was virtually unthinkable to do so.

The prophet then brings out the terrible truth that the nation had indeed exchanged gods, in this case giving up the One true God, not for the god of another country but for worthless idols made of wood and stone that held no true power.  Think of all of the things that are being "worshiped" in our society.  People in large numbers have given up on the true God, the fountain of living waters (v.13) for programs and things the "hold no water" (v.13), they are cracked pots that leak all over the place.

Government programs are not going to save us, to many, the government itself has become a god.

Pray for our nation that we would turn back to our God, the true God.  It starts with us, to live lives worthy of the One who has called us and lets us know we are His own.

I've been to lots of places,
I've seen a lot of faces,
there's been times I felt so all alone.
But in my lonely hours,
yes, those precious lonely hours,
Jesus lets me know that I was His own
Through it all,
through it all,
I've learned to trust in Jesus,
I've learned to trust in God.    (Andrae' Crouch)


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Jeremiah 2:11-13 New King James Version (NKJV)

11 Has a nation changed its gods,
Which are not gods?
But My people have changed their Glory
For what does not profit.
12 Be astonished, O heavens, at this,
And be horribly afraid;
Be very desolate," says the Lord.
13 "For My people have committed two evils:
They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters,
And hewn themselves cisterns—broken cisterns that can hold no water.

No comments: