Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Verse of the Day 6/23

Verse of the Day 6/23

John 7:37-38  On the last and most important day of the festival, Jesus stood up and shouted, "If you are thirsty, come to me and drink! 38 Have faith in me, and you will have life-giving water flowing from deep inside you, just as the Scriptures say."  Contemporary English Version (CEV)

As I read these verses this morning I looked out of our kitchen window at the decorative pool that we have in our backyard where the water comes flowing like a spring out of some rocks and into the pool.  Yesterday was the first day that it had been turned on for the year and instead of pure clean water what came out were leaves and dirt that had built up in the well since last fall.  I had failed to clean it properly before "going to the well", turning the switch to let it flow.  The water didn't look pleasing and you would never want to take a drink from that spring.

 God's Word is often the source of the spring of God's blessings in our lives.  We should be more like David in Psalm 42 who stated "as the deer pants for the water so my soul pants for you O God".  Fortunately for us, we don't have to clean up the mess in our lives before turning to Jesus who is the spring from whom all blessings flow.

Charles Spurgeon writes, "No waiting or preparation is so much as hinted at. Drinking represents a reception for which no fitness is required. A fool, a thief, a harlot can drink; and so sinfulness of character is no bar to the invitation to believe in Jesus. We want no golden cup, no bejewelled chalice, in which to convey the water to the thirsty; the mouth of poverty is welcome to stoop down and quaff the flowing flood. Blistered, leprous, filthy lips may touch the stream of divine love; they cannot pollute it, but shall themselves be purified. Jesus is the fount of hope. Dear reader, hear the dear Redeemer's loving voice as he cries to each of us, Come and drink."    
Come, Thou Fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Streams of mercy, never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above
Praise the mount, I'm fixed upon it
Mount of Thy redeeming love
Here I raise my Ebenezer
Here there by Thy great help I've come
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home
Jesus sought me when a stranger
Wandering from the fold of God
He, to rescue me from danger
Interposed His precious blood
Oh, to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be
Let that goodness like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, oh, take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above
Here's my heart, oh, take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 7:37-39 English Standard Version (ESV)

Rivers of Living Water

37 On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. 38 Whoever believes in me, as[a] the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" 39 Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

No comments: