Sunday, March 21, 2021

Verse of the Day 3/21

Verse of the Day 3/21

James 1:17   Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.   New King James Version (NKJV)

We'll continue at our look at verses that are related to the hymn "Great is Thy Faithfulness" with the words in the first line "there is no shadow of turning with Thee".  James had just written "do not be deceived" and goes onto say that every good gift comes down from the Father of lights, the Creator.  He has given us the stars in the sun, moon and stars in the sky and everything below on earth.  They didn't just happen and life doesn't just happen.

My wife and I like to go on walks in the evening and with spring come longer days and longer shadows at the end of the day.  Sometimes, we'll be walking with the sun at our backs and late in the day, we cast a long shadow.  The longer the shadow is the easier it is to see the slightest change in direction, His light magnifies it.  But there is no changing with God.

Along with the changing of seasons we are aware of the "phases of the moon".  It appears that the moon in changing from full, three quarter, one half , one quarter and stages in between.  The moon itself doesn't change but our perspective of it from here on earth does as the earth blocks the light of the sun from reaching that "invisible" part of the moon.  So it is with us, we may feel that God changes or that He may be mad at us .  We've all said in relation to our teen age kids, "it's just a phase, they'll get over it".  There are no "phases" with God.  His love and faithfulness to us our unchanging, un-shifting.

In all of the days and seasons of life let us remember that we serve and worship and unchanging God who loves and cares for us.  He has the perfect gifts for us for our changing seasons.

Is my life fleeting and passing away like a shadow? 
Jesus is the Ancient of days, and endures forevermore! 

Are my days short-lived and full of trouble? 
Jesus is my life, the length of my days, and the joy of my heart! 

Am I exposed to contempt? 
Jesus shall be my crown of glory, and diadem of beauty! 

Am I traveling through the wilderness? 
Jesus is my staff, and on Him I lean all the way! 

Am I on my last journey to my long home? 
Jesus is my leader, and my rewarder!

Am I a sheep? 
Jesus is my pasture, and my green pasture too! 

Am I hungry and thirsty? 
Jesus is my heavenly manna, and gives me to drink of the water of life!   (James Meikle)

Am I weary? 
Jesus is my rest and refreshing! 

Am I weak? 
Jesus is my strength!



--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

James 1:16-18 New King James Version (NKJV)

16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. 18 Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.

No comments: