Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Verse of the Day 5/11

Verse of the Day 5/11

John 1:14
English Standard Version



14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son[a] from the Father, full of grace and truth.

I read today's verse yesterday morning as it came up through the read through the New Testament plan that I follow.  I read it and didn't think about it much until I read it again this morning in John Piper's "Solid Joys" devotional.   Yesterday I had the privilege to play golf at a beautiful golf course on a glorious day in North Carolina; the sun shining , not a cloud in the sky and the sky as blue as you'll ever see it in NC.  I enjoyed some of the views but not enough because I was too focused on the game which ended up being the worst round that I think I've played in 20 years.  

John Piper writes, "

You have seen the shadows; look at the substance. You have walked in the warm rays of the day; turn and look at the sun itself — yes, through the protective and sharpening lens of the gospel. You have heard echoes of God's glory everywhere; tune your heart to the original music.

The best place to get your heart tuned is at the cross of Jesus Christ. "We have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth" (John 1:14).

If you want the most concentrated display of the glory of God, look at Jesus in the Gospels, and look especially at the cross. This will focus your eyes and tune your heart and waken your taste buds so that you will see and hear and taste the glory of the true God everywhere.

That is what you were made for. I plead with you: don't throw your life away on shadows. God made you to see and savor his glory. Pursue that with all your heart and above all else. You have tasted the appetizers. Now go on to the full banquet.
His words were a wake up call for me.  Enjoy more of God; in His Word and His creation in the light of His glorious grace.

O soul, are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There's light for a look at the Savior,
And life more abundant and free.
 Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
  In the light of His glory and grace.
We're supposed to have another beautiful day of sunshine here today.  My focus needs to be to see Him in all His creation and not to worry to much about lesser things, like my golf game.


Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 1:14-18
New International Version

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

15 (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, "This is the one I spoke about when I said, 'He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.'") 16 Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.


No comments: