Sunday, May 8, 2022

Verse of the Day 5/8

Verse of the Day 5/8

Luke 23:42-43
English Standard Version



42 And he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." 43 And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise."

We've been considering the different world views.  They play a key role in how we live our lives, our convictions, our hopes, our fears, our love but most importantly whose we are and where we will spend our eternity, for no matter what we believe we will face the "final curtain". Those who have faith in Jesus will face it like the thief on the cross next to Jesus.  He saw Jesus  and realized at the end that He was who He said He was and submitted to Jesus as Lord; and asked to be received into His kingdom.  Jesus' response will be the same for us who come to Him in faith.

Those who don't believe, who lived for themselves and did it their way will face a different end.  The Frank Sinatra song "My Way" summarizes their belief.

And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels
The record shows
I took the blows
And did it my way

The words of the thief on the cross, asking Jesus to "remember" Him, were the words of one who kneels.  He is with Jesus in paradise.  The one who does it my way will instead face the biggest blow.

May our hearts be ready and may we be able to say today or any day, "Lord remember me" in your kingdom.



Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Luke 23:39-43
English Standard Version

39 One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!" 40 But the other rebuked him, saying, "Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong." 42 And he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." 43 And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise."


No comments: