Sunday, January 22, 2023

Verse of the Day 1/22

Verse of the Day 1/22


2 Thessalonians 1:10-11
English Standard Version



10 when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed. 11 To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power,


Today's verses speak of the second coming of Christ, what a day it will be.  Verse 10 starts out with "to be glorified in his saints" and to be "marveled at" among all those who have believed.  I'm reminded of the "cloud of witnesses" spoken of in Hebrews 12.  I believe we will not only express wonder in Jesus' Christ, but also in those who persevered in this life through many trials, we will marvel at their faith and how they brought glory to God through their continuiing faith in trials.

John Piper has stated, "God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him".  In commenting on this verse he modified this a little bit to say "Christ is most glorified in us when we most marvel at Him". I am amazed and marvel at the faith of those who endure through trials.  I see it first hand in my wife Jean in her battle against cancer.  Her faith is strong and she perseveres continuing to trust and proclaim her faith and live it out.  

Some people are overwhelmed and overcome by thier trials, others are overcomers through Christ. The overcomers look to Christ, marvel at Him, He gives them grace, the power to overcome what this world throws at them.

I read the following in Tabletalk devotional the other day:  "The Venerable Bede, the famous historian of the English church who died in the early eighth century AD, comments, "Spiritual shepherds in the church are appointed especially for this, that they may proclaim the mysteries of the Word of God and that they may show to their listeners that the marvels which they have learned in the Scriptures are to be marveled at."

Hymn writer Fanny Crosby captures the heart of this in her wonderful hymn "All the Way My Savior Leads Me".

1 All the way my Savior leads me–
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who through life has been my guide?
Heav'nly peace, divinest comfort,
Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate'er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well;
For I know, whate'er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well.

2 All the way my Savior leads me–
Cheers each winding path I tread,
Gives me grace for ev'ry trial,
Feeds me with the living bread.
Though my weary steps may falter
And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the rock before me,
Lo! a spring of joy I see;
Gushing from the rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see.

3 All the way my Savior leads me–
Oh, the fullness of His love!
Perfect rest to me is promised
In my Father's house above.
When my spirit, clothed immortal,
Wings its flight to realms of day,
This my song through endless ages:
Jesus led me all the way;
This my song through endless ages:
Jesus led me all the way.




Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

2 Thessalonians 1:5-12
English Standard Version

The Judgment at Christ's Coming

This is evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be considered worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are also suffering— since indeed God considers it just to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to grant relief to you who are afflicted as well as to us, when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from[a] the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might, 10 when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed. 11 To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, 12 so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.


No comments: