Friday, January 27, 2023

Verse of the Day 1/27

Verse of the Day 1/27



2 Corinthians 5:14-15
New International Version



14 For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.


In yesterday's post we considered how we are prompted by the Holy Spirit to do things, especially for others, acts of comfort, giving, encouraging and more.  I read today's verses in my Bible reading this morning and they brought me back to these same thoughts but in stronger words than "promptings".  The English Standard Version states "controls us" where the NIV (above) states compels us.  They are variations of the same thing.  

Think about it this way, if someone owns or controls 51% of a business, they have controlling interest.  Others may suggest or recommend courses of action, but the person with controlling interest makes the final decisions. The sobering question then becomes, who has controlling interest in our lives.  Do we hold onto it or do we submit to God's authority, giving Him conntrolling interest in our lives. Before answering, think of what He has done for us, what He has given us.  It should cause us to desire to "no longer live for ourselves but for Him who died and was raised again" that we may have life.

I was reminded of the old hymn, Living for Jesus by Thomas Chisholm.  Read or sing through it and then go back again and read today's verses.

1. Living for Jesus, a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.

Refrain:
O Jesus, Lord and Savior, I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy atonement, didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master, my heart shall be Thy throne;
My life I give, henceforth to live, O Christ, for Thee alone.

2. Living for Jesus Who died in my place,
Bearing on Calv'ry my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.

3. Living for Jesus, wherever I am,
Doing each duty in His holy Name;
Willing to suffer affliction and loss,
Deeming each trial a part of my cross.

4. Living for Jesus through earth's little while,
My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him





Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

2 Corinthians 5:14-15
New International Version

14 For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15 And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.


No comments: