Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Verse of the Day 3/28

Verse of the Day 3/28



Psalm 54:4
English Standard Version



Behold, God is my helper;
    the Lord is the upholder of my life.

I finished yesterday's post with the hymn "All the Way My Savior Leads Me", the last line was "Jesus led me all the way".  Today's verse came up in my daily reading in the Psalms.  This one, written by David expresses the same kind of emotion and gratitude to God.  Reading it we can reflect on David's life, all the ups and downs, the battles, physical and spiritual but looking back David realizes that God had been his helper, holder and sustainer in life.

Think of these two statements, first, God "is" my helper.  Not jus was or has been but is. God is always with him and will be with him to the end.  Thne "the Lord is the upholder of my life."  Same thing.  Not just was, but is and will continue to be my "upholder".  The One that keeps my going, keeps me afloat as it were, lifts me up when I can't pick myself off of the ground.  He upholds everything in my life, from the sun and stars to the challenges of daily life.

These thoughts led me to another old hymn, "O Worship the King all Glorious Above", in particular the lines "your mercies, how tender, how firm to the end, or Maker, Defender, Redeemer and Friend.

  1. Oh, worship the King, all-glorious above,
    Oh, gratefully sing His pow'r and His love;
    Our Shield and Defender, the Ancient of Days,
    Pavilioned in splendor, and girded with praise.
  2. Oh, tell of His might, oh, sing of His grace,
    Whose robe is the light, whose canopy space;
    His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form,
    And dark is His path on the wings of the storm.
  3. Thy bountiful care, what tongue can recite?
    It breathes in the air, it shines in the light;
    It streams from the hills, it descends to the plain,
    And sweetly distills in the dew and the rain.
  4. Frail children of dust, and feeble as frail,
    In Thee do we trust, nor find Thee to fail;
    Thy mercies how tender, how firm to the end,
    Our Maker, Defender, Redeemer, and Friend!

Knowing that God is your helper and the upholder of your life should cause you to want to sing out in praise to Him.




Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Psalm 54
English Standard Version

The Lord Upholds My Life

To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. A Maskil[a] of David, when the Ziphites went and told Saul, "Is not David hiding among us?"

54 O God, save me by your name,
    and vindicate me by your might.
O God, hear my prayer;
    give ear to the words of my mouth.

For strangers

have risen against me;
    ruthless men seek my life;
    they do not set God before themselves. Selah

Behold, God is my helper;
    the Lord is the upholder of my life.
He will return the evil to my enemies;
    in your faithfulness put an end to them.

With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to you;
    I will give thanks to your name, O Lord, for it is good.
For he has delivered me from every trouble,
    and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies.



No comments: