Friday, March 3, 2023

Verse of the Day 3/3

Verse of the Day 3/3


Matthew 4:18-19
English Standard Version

Jesus Calls the First Disciples

18 While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. 19 And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."[


As I've mentioned recently, it feels like spring in North Carolina and with that many people are looking forward to getting back to outdoor activities, including fishing.  Growing up, the intention of catching fish was to have fun and then to enjoy a tasty meal of pan fried trout, bass or bluiegills.  Later in life, most often fishing become more of a catch and release thiing.  The fishing was for the enjoyment of doing so and letting the fish go to live it's life.

When Jesus called His disciples He immediately told them that they would be "fishers of men".  I read the following in today's Tabletalk Devotional, "The term translated "men" here is inclusive of males and females, and in the Greek the adjective meaning "living" is attached. Peter—and by extension James, John, and other disciples—would catch "living people" for Jesus. There is a contrast here with normal fishing. Usually someone catches fish and then kills them for food, but in the work of discipleship, one catches individuals who remain alive. Indeed, it is in becoming disciples of Jesus that we actually find true life. Christ came so that we "may have life and have it abundantly" (John 10:10).

Think about it.  If you are sharing the gospel you are like the disciples and have become 'fishers of men".  But it is better than the "catch and release" method I mentioned above.  Yes, they are released, but not back to their old way of life, but to a new life, new life in Christ, abundant and truly free. Not only that, it goes beyond this life and into eternity.

Being "caught" sounds like a negative thing but once we've been "reeled" in is when we're released from this life and into a new one.

Jesus, my Lord will love me forever,
From Him no pow'r of evil can sever,
He gave His life to ransom my soul;
Now I belong to Him;

Chorus
Now I belong to Jesus,
Jesus belongs to me,
Not for the years of time alone,
But for eternity.

Once I was lost in sin's degradation,
Jesus came down to bring me salvation,
Lifted me up from sorrow and shame,
Now I belong to Him;





Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Matthew 4:18-22
English Standard Version

Jesus Calls the First Disciples

18 While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. 19 And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."[a]
 20 Immediately they left their nets and followed him. 21 And going on from there he saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets, and he called them. 22 Immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.


No comments: