Saturday, March 16, 2024

Verse of the Day 3/16

Verse of the Day 3/16




John 20:19-20
New King James Version


19 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were 

assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you." 20 When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.

As I read today's verses this morning in my devotions I stepped back and looked at the situation at hand.  The disciples world had just come crashing down.  Jesus, their leader had been tried and crucified. What was going to happen next?  They were huddled together in fear.  It was then that Jesus, in the form of an unrecognized stranger appears to them asn says "peace be with you".  Then He showed them His hands and side.

I couldn't help but think back to Jesus words to them back in John 14, preparing them for this time. He said twice (verses 1 and 27) "let not your heart be troubled" and "peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you".  It is a statement for all of us as believers when we face troubled, challenging times in our lives.  He reveals Himself, sometimes in His Word, sometimes in dreams, sometimes through a friend, but the same words.  Don't be troubled, I'll bring you, I'll give you peace.

The words of "It Is Well With My Soul" came to mind. I never thought much about what "attendeth my way" meant.  But is is when peace like a river comes to me, washing over me, in spite of the sorrows at hand.  Lord give me this peace.

  1. When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
    When sorrows like sea billows roll;
    Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
    It is well, it is well with my soul.
    • Refrain:
      It is well with my soul,
      It is well, it is well with my soul.
  2. Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
    Let this blest assurance control,
    That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
    And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
  3. My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!—
    My sin, not in part but the whole,
    Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
    Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
  4. For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
    If Jordan above me shall roll,
    No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
    Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
  5. But, Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
    The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
    Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
    Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!
  6. And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,
    The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
    The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
    Even so, it is well with my soul.




Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 20:19-23
New King James Version

The Apostles Commissioned

19 Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were [a]

assembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, "Peace be with you." 20 When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.

21 So Jesus said to them again, "Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you." 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23 If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."


No comments: