Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Verse of the Day 11/10

Through the Bible - Lamentations 5- Ezekiel 1, Hebrews 9
 
Good morning,
We ended yesterdays devotional with the words from Trust and Obey "when we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word, what a glory He sheds on our  way".
We'll continue the theme of walking with the Lord in today's verse, also from Ephesians 5.

Ephesians 5:8-9 (Amplified Bible) For once you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of Light [lead the lives of those native-born to the Light]. 

 9For the fruit (the effect, the product) of the Light or the Spirit [consists] in every form of kindly goodness, uprightness of heart, and trueness of life.

What does it mean to walk in the "light of the Lord" as children of light?
 
Think of  plants, how they naturally turn towards the sun for its light.  The light is transformed into energy which produces growth fruit.  That growth occurs inside the plant through photosynthesis which God designed and put in the plants for transformation.  Its another picture of God's grace. Not only does He provide the Son, He provides the Holy Spirit to  take God's Word to work in and through us that we may grow in Him.
 
What kind of plant would turn away from the sun?  What kind of person would turn away from the Son?
 
I'll close with the lyrics from "In the Light" by the Newsboys, one of my son Jeff's favorites.

I keep trying to find a life
On my own apart from you
I am the king of excuses
I've got one for every selfish thing I do
What's going on inside of me?
I despise my own behavior
this only serves to confirm my suspicion
That I'm still a man in need of a savior


I wanna be in the light
As You are in the light
I wanna shine like the stars in the heavens
Oh Lord be my light and be my salvation
Because all I want is to be in the light


The disease of self runs through my blood
It's a cancer fatal to my soul
Every attempt on my behalf has failed
To bring this sickness under control

I wanna be in the light
As You are in the light
I wanna shine like the stars in the heavens
Oh Lord be my light and be my salvation

If you feel this battle going on inside of you, leave the darkness, and turn or return to the light.  Don't walk in darkness any more. rather, walk in the Spirit in which consists "every form of kindly goodness, uprightness of heart, and trueness of life. Eph. 5;9 NLT
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ephesians 5:8-11  New Living Translation

    8For once you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord; walk as children of Light [lead the lives of those native-born to the Light].

    9For the fruit (the effect, the product) of the Light or the Spirit [consists] in every form of kindly goodness, uprightness of heart, and trueness of life.

    10And try to learn [in your experience] what is pleasing to the Lord [let your lives be constant proofs of what is most acceptable to Him].

    11Take no part in and have no fellowship with the fruitless deeds and enterprises of darkness, but instead [let your lives be so in contrast as to] expose and reprove and convict them.

No comments: