Friday, November 26, 2010

Verse of the Day 11/26

Through the Bible - Ezekiel 37-38, 2 Peter 1
 
Good morning,
Today has become known as "Black Friday" probably the biggest shopping day of the Christmas season and an early indicator to what the "rest of the season" will be for retailers.
I hope that you enjoyed some peace and rest yesterday visiting with friends and relatives.  A stomach full of turkey and dressing can help you rest or at least feel sleepy.  Jesus came to bring peace on earth, it is ironic that the first day of the season to celebrate the coming of the Prince of Peace is anything but peaceful as people will be lining up at 4 or 6 am to get the best "deals" of the season.
 
For today's verse we'll go to a familiar passage where Jesus calls us to come to Him for rest.  Read it from the Amplified Bible below, then do as the psalms often call us to do and stop, think calmly of that (selah).

Matthew 11:28-29 (Amplified Bible) Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.] 

 29Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls.

Jesus offers to ease, relieve and refresh our souls.  We'd be better off facing Black Friday spending some time in coming to Jesus than heading off to the stores at 4 am.
 
I remember in other years reading of and seeing news reports of people being trampled to death trying to get into a store to get the best deal on an HD TV or other high ticket item.  Learn from Jesus.  As we've considered before, we don't hear of Him running anywhere, He walked, stopping along the way to bring "ease, refreshment, recreation and blessed quietness to souls that sought Him, sought His favor, His blessing.
 
Although it is not a Christmas hymn, read the words to "Blessed Quietness" may they help to prepare you for worship this weekend and this Christmas.
 
Joys are flowing like a river,
Since the Comforter has come;
He abides with us forever,
Makes the trusting heart His home.
 
Refrain:
Blessed quietness, holy quietness,
Blest assurance in my soul!
On the stormy sea, *Jesus speaks to me, [*He speaks peace to me,]
And the billows cease to roll.
 
Everything is turned to gladness,
All around this glorious Guest;
Banished unbelief and sadness,
All is perfect peace and rest.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Matthew 11:25-30 (The Message)

 25-26Abruptly Jesus broke into prayer: "Thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth. You've concealed your ways from sophisticates and know-it-alls, but spelled them out clearly to ordinary people. Yes, Father, that's the way you like to work."

 27Jesus resumed talking to the people, but now tenderly. "The Father has given me all these things to do and say. This is a unique Father-Son operation, coming out of Father and Son intimacies and knowledge. No one knows the Son the way the Father does, nor the Father the way the Son does. But I'm not keeping it to myself; I'm ready to go over it line by line with anyone willing to listen.

 28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."

No comments: